Mount Meru is one of the freestanding volcanoes, At 4566 meters it is Tanzania's second highest mountain and the fourth highest mountain in Africa. It last erupted in 1910 but now it is among the died volcanoes. Over 500,000 years ago, Mount Meru erupted in a tremendous explosion that destroyed it's cone shape and resulted in a horseshoe crater with the eastern side removed. The resulting mountain has its summit on the west side with it's inner walls rising over 1,500m from the crater floor, making them among the tallest cliffs in Africa.
Mount meru is in Arusha National park, with different wild animals from the foots of mountain to the
base camp the Saddle Hut, that is on between the two peaks, Little Meru and Big Meru.
Once trekking to Meru Mountain the armed ranger guide/escorting the climber(s) to the mountain and back to ensure security and safety of climb from harsh wild animals. It is, however, allowed to climb the inner Ash Cone but the park only recommends this for researchers and issues a special permit for this activity. The first man to trek Mount Meru is Dr. Fritz Jaeger, who climbed it on 1904.
- The ability to see a lot of wildlife on the lower slopes in the form of a walking safari,
- Hiking along the crest of the crater rim on last day hiking to the top.
- Nice, but distant, views of Kilimanjaro Mountain from the summit,
- Amazing views into the summit crater and ash cone
- Great for pre Kilimanjaro acclimatisation or as part of a trilogy of East Africa's highest peak also superb pre safari for hikers or the adventurous.
3-4 Days Itinerary
Arrive anytime at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). We will arrange a private transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) to Arusha Town where yo will have night in the comfort hotel we booked for you., where the rest of the day is at leisure. We stay at nHotel in Arusha, which is beautifully located on a perfect place to prepare for your adventure.
Our professional guides will gather in the hotel for a pre-climb briefing and and equipment check.
Gate(starting point) to Miriakamba Hut
We drive from Arusha to Momela Gate. After a short registration at the Gate our walk will begin with full armed ranger escorting us, simply we can see along the way the wild animals including baboons, warthogy, collubas monkey, zebra and giraffe , monkeys, antelope, and often elephants along the route.
Miriakamba Hut to Saddle Hut
The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb. The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone. After hot lunch at Saddle Hut we can make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset.
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and on to Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) on time for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridge line between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater.
NB Different to Kilimanjaro, mount Meru have very small area in the top, as it is the rock peak, more sharp ,more standing. Once you get to the top is batter to have only minutes for the pictures and then down to leave the room of other climbers also, for more safety at the Top.
We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Meriakamba Hut. For the three days hikers they can have the rescue car to momella gate where they will get our truck ready for take them back to the hotel)
Miriakamba Hut to Momella Gate to Arusha
We take a short and fast descent way through open grassland and mixed forest, with possibility of seeing wildlife before reaching Momella Gate in the late morning.
The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to pick you to Arusha at your Hotel.
- Two nights in comfort hotel in Arusha ( 1 night on arival and 1 after the trip )
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- Guides, Porters, Cook salaries and park fees
- Quality, waterproof, four-season mountain sleeping tents (on twin sharing basis)
- Sleeping Mattress
- Emergency Oxygen Cylinder
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Conservation fees (part of park fees)
- Camping or Hut fees (part of park fees)
- Rescue fees (part of park fees)
- VAT (18% charged by the Government)
- Tanzania Visa
- Transfers (available as an optional addon)
- Personal trekking equipment such as sleepings bags, hiking boots, clothes, etc (available for renting)
- Tips and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Liquors, beers and bottled beverages
For this destination