OL DOINYO LENGAI
To the nomadic tribe of the Maasai, there is no other mountain that demands more respect, than Ol Donyo
Lengai – ‘the mountain of God’. Located on the base of the east African rift valley in northern
Tanzania, Lengai (2960m) overlooks the beautiful lake Natron.
As it is the Active volcano Mountain, when Maasai sees the eruption coming out, they beleave it is one of the miracles hence strongly believe it is the holly place of God.
Ol Donyo Lengai is the only active volcano in Tanzania. The last major eruption of this strato-volcano Mountain started in July 2007 and continued on and off up to August 2008. Since then the mountain has not had any severe eruptions, just small ones up to 2013.
During the day, Lengai's lava flows are coloured black almost resembling an oil spill. The colour
of the lava can change very quickly from black to grey and then finally to snow white when the lava
is exposed to water.
This is a very unique mountain as it produces natrocarbonate lava that is not found in any other volcano anywhere else in the world. The temperature of the lava is also quite unique. At 500°C it is one of the coolest lava ever recorded. The lava runs quite fast, unlike normal basaltic lava and it can only be seen glowing at night.
The crater’s appearance changes over time due to small eruptions as well as erosion caused by rain and wind.
The mountain can be climbed; however, it is known to be a very strenuous trek up. When starting at around 22:0023:00, the summit is reached at sunrise. Once at the top, climbers are rewarded with a breathtaking view of the Great Rift Valley below. The way down can be quite demanding due the steep terrain but it surely is an adventure that will keep your heart beating faster.
3 Days Itinerary
Arusha/Moshi to Lake Natron
Depart Moshi or Arusha early in the morning and drive to Camp in Lake Natron, the transfer takes around seven hours, here you will be able freshen up then visit Ngare Sero Waterfalls which descend from the Nguruman Escarpment west of Lake Natron. After your tour of the waterfalls, you will head back to the camp for dinner and overnight..
After breakfast, you will be transferred to Lake Natron, an alkaline lake that serves as the principal breeding site for three-quarters of the world’s population of Lesser Flamingoes. After your tour of Lake Natron, you will head back to the camp so as to get enough rest before you trek up the mountain at midnight.
Ol doinyo lengai trekking to Arusha/Moshi
Your climb will start at midnight and it will take around five to six hours whereby you will reach the summit in time to witness the amazing sunrise as it illuminates the Great Rift Valley. During your climb, you will be escorted by an experienced Maasai guide. After exploring the peak you will head back down the mountain to the base where your driver will be waiting for you to take you back to the camp to rest and freshen up. You will then be transferred back to Arusha/Moshi through Ngare Sero Maasai village where you will be able to visit the Maasai bomas and experience their ways of life.
- All transfers to the mountain and back to your hotel
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- Guides, Porters, Cook salaries and park fees
- Quality, waterproof, four-season mountain sleeping tents (on twin sharing basis)
- Sleeping Mattress
- Emergency Oxygen Cylinder
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Conservation fees (part of park fees)
- Camping or Hut fees (part of park fees)
- Rescue fees (part of park fees)
- VAT (18% charged by the Government)
- Tanzania Visa
- Hotel (available as an optional addon)
- Transfers (available as an optional addon)
- Personal trekking equipment such as sleepings bags, hiking boots, clothes, etc (available for renting)
- Tips and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Liquors, beers and bottled beverages
For this destination